Monday, March 3, 2008

Inspired by my Grandma...

Cherokee Indian Legend


Do you know the legend of the Cherokee Indian youth's rite of passage?
His father takes him into the forest, blindfolds him and leaves him alone.
He is required to sit on a stump the whole night and not remove the blindfold until the rays of the morning sun shine through it. He cannot cry out for help to anyone. Once he survives the night, he is a MAN.
He cannot tell the other boys of this experience because each lad must come into manhood on his own.
The boy is naturally terrified. He can hear all kinds of noises. Wild beasts must surely be all around him. Maybe even some human might do him harm. The wind blew the grass and earth, and shook his stump, but he sat stoically, never removing the blindfold. It would be the only way he could become a man!
Finally, after a horrific night, the sun appeared and he removed his blindfold.
It was then that he discovered his father sitting on the stump next to him.
He had been at watch the entire night, protecting his son from harm.
We, too, are never alone.
Even when we don't know it, our Heavenly Father is watching over us, sitting on the stump beside us.
When trouble comes, all we have to do is reach out to Him.

Moral of the Story: Just because you can't see God, doesn't mean He is not there.
'For we walk by faith, not by sight.'
~ 2 Corinthians 5:7 ~

I got the above email from my Grandma. After stewing so long about my situation and then finally coming to terms with it last night and posting on my blog about the way that I was feeling it's been a total relief. Like now that I said what was bothering me and how I was feeling about my situation - I don't feel so stressed about it anymore. The email from my Grandma just seemed to fit; because for a while now I've felt like the little guy with the blindfold not sure where this is going? Not really sure where I'm at - I mean I know what I dream about or what I'd like to happen but it's like seeing a path when it's snowy and drifting. For those of you who are not native Minnesotans I don't know what to tell you imagine HUGE Snow that has drifted to block the path you thought you'd be taking.... maybe I just need to have some faith that it's all going to work out that I'm just suppose to be taking more time than most people.
Lost another pound this morning! That was exciting! Well I'm taking my lunch break to write this blog post. I hope that everyone is doing well. I know I've checked Carey and Norman's blog a couple of times today to see what's going on with them and there hasn't been any word yet that I've seen! I hope and pray that everything is going alright with their little girl.
Thanks for listening!

1 comment:

Becky and Keith said...

I just caught up on both of your blog posts! I love how you are so open and honest. You have such a wonderful spirit and a drive like no other! Be so proud of everything you've accomplished and just remember, when the time is right, you'll know it!!! I've been stalking Carey's blog all day too. Glad I'm not the only one! :-)